Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cat Goes Down

Our hearts go out to defender Cat Whitehill, who is out of the Olympics after injuring her knee during training here in South Korea, just about three weeks after midfielder Leslie Osborne tore her ACL.



Anytime a team loses a player before a major competition it's heart-wrenching, but especially since Cat had worked so hard this year to come back from a bad ankle injury suffered last January and was almost surely going to be on the Olympic Team. Cat has played a major role for the USA in the past three world championships and her play on the back line and personality off the field will be sorely missed. She's headed back home now to figure out her plans for surgery, but we know she'll be back on the field sometime in 2009. Losing Osborne and Whitehill has definitely cut into the USA's depth, but if we know the U.S. team like we think we know the U.S. team, the players will rally together to make up for the loss of two great players.

6 comments:

courtney said...

My heart goes out to Cat! I wish her the best with her surgery and recovery!

heather said...

Cat's def in my thoughts shes one of my fave players. my dr said if you where the round studed cleats your less likely to have acl probs. i didnt really listen to him at first but now i think im going to get new cleats.

flowers said...

WOW!! thats horrible my prayers go out to her and I hope she's going to be okay! good luck with surgery and recovery!

Unknown said...

another one?!?! how sad... my heart goes out to cat and leslie,, definitely a blow to the team but the team is still strong!!! best wishes in recovery and surgery, looking forward to seeing you out there again!!!

Kylie said...

I hope that USWNT's bad luck in the injury department ends soon; Barnhart's knee arthroscopy, Rampone's gallbladder, Osborne's ACL and now Cat's ACL...
It won't be the same without Cat on the field for the PQC and the Olympics...Good luck and hope the surgery and recovery goes well

etchy said...

Cat's in my prayers. She is a great player and role model and will be greatly missed on the US team. I hope that she remembers that God has a plan for this.